Welcome to Today We Eat

When you eat breakfast do you find yourself thinking about what you want to eat for dinner ... in three days? If so this is the place for you. Come hither all you foodies, join us as we discuss great recipes, beer and wine, cured meats, restaurants, food carts, liquors, and whatever else makes you go mmmmmmmm.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cleaning Out the Garden, Scallion Edition

It is getting to be fall, the leaves are starting turn but don't tell my garden.  It is still cranking out veggies and herbs at an alarming rate.  My last pass left me with what you see below, what am I supposed to do with all those scallions?



















Honestly I am not sure how anyone survived, much less cooked without the Internet.  A quick tour of the interwebs and I had a plan.  Scallion pesto and pickled scallions, since the pesto uses only the green parts of the vegetable and the pickles uses the white this would minimize waste.  I hate throwing something away that I have spent all spring/summer nurturing. 

The pesto:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Scallion-Pesto-Recipe

This is a great recipe, I omitted the salt and added a third more sunflower seeds, some fresh basil, and parsley.  I think you could do just about anything to this and it would turn out.  Next time I may try slivered almonds instead of the seeds.  Next time you are thinking about throwing out the green portion of your scallions you may want to think about whipping some of this up.

The pickles:

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Pickled%20scallions

This recipe is perfect, no measurements are given which is convenient as I never use them.  I am sure I used more sugar than needed but the end result is an excellent sweet and sour taste.  I was also able to use some of the chilies I pulled which was an added bonus. 

Next year I am planning on planting even more scallions, a packet from your local gardening center should yield about three times what you see in the above picture.  With that I bid you a good day, I am going to devour a loaf of bread with some scallion pesto. 

~Manja

No comments:

Post a Comment